Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Spring Porkies Yurt-N-ski adventures!

We just got home from our annual Porkies Yurt-N-ski spring vacation that we've done the the past 4 years.  This post will be from the 1st two days.
I'll stay close by, or they might leave me!

At the Porkies parking lot, I met friendly campers coming out.
They'd been at the Yurt we're heading to.

You know I like kids! 
They live in Duluth now but used to live in Houghton.

Ya, I love a little petting too. Hope we see you again sometime!

Up the trail we went.

Almost there.

We made it!

Ya Arly, let's get this pack off. It impedes my squirrel hunting.

This is were I sit and watch for chipmunks,.

Sandy sent us to fetch water.

I had to make sure he didn't fall in.

Yurt moon view

In the morning, I got right to hunting while they lollygagged around,
having breakfast.

Finally we headed out going cross country.
We spied some interesting fungus.

What is that, a dead dog?

Heck no! Just a very clean one - from multiple snow baths.

We skied down to the Union River cabin, but no-one was home.

Next we headed west down the trail. Yes, this really is the trail!

The thermometer seen here said it was 49.

We wish the park had the funds to fix these fantastic ski trails,
plus the hiking trails, bridges, etc.

Here, we usually cross on a beaver dam but it washed out.
We found another further down stream.

Made it to Union Spring!

You can see it oozing up water just to the left of the bridge.

Seasonal streams were all running good today.

Back on the ski trail.

We took a little break, then since skiing was so good, headed out again.

Left over from maple syrup harvest of years past?

After such a busy day, I had to take a little break from squirrel hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment